Thursday, July 28, 2005

Vacation on a Dude Ranch?

Ok...a couple things. First and foremost -- I am now, officially, on vacation! I will not be at the office until Aug. 19 (coming in for the weekend body builders...how could I miss that?) Today will be spent packing...an impending household move is coming...Aug. 1st!! Yikes. That's also my wedding anniversary. Typical. Hopefully everything will go smoothly...I'm trying to think of all the people/institutions that must be called regarding the address change. I'm sure I'll miss some...but, I'm equally sure that those I miss will be able to hunt me down like a scurvy dog. I always seem to leave a trail. My supervisor took me out for lunch yesterday. It was nice. Conversation flowed...and we both eavesdropped on the table behind us...man in suit with younger woman...they were going through her job/performance evaluation. Seems that people are attempting to follow proper 'management' guidelines but, are missing something that forms and calculations can't replace...actual communcation. The fellow actually said 'well, it says on this form that I am supposed to ask you how you feel about your job.' Seriously, corona almost jet out my nose. Cb and I, on the other hand, have a pretty darn good working relationship. We respect each others' ideas, space and failings. Plus...we were able to split a piece of chocolate cheese cake (I ate the larger portion...free food...never say no).

Now, as I am home free without a work day care, I applied the 'gender genie' (http://www.bookblog.net/gender/genie.html) to my post Afternoon Delight (http://rosco324.blogspot.com/2005/07/afternoon-delight.html). (I know there is a better way to show links...the elegance is lost on me at the moment). Hmmm....seems that it was written by a male. Big time. When I informed the genie that it was wrong it replied 'That's one butch chick' ... It causes me to wonder what form the gender genie considers 'female?' I reread Afternoon Delight...it sounds female to me. Maybe it's me. Maybe I am not female enough. Hmmm...but...I have stretch marks from childbirth...my breasts are a bit saggy but still there, I menstruate once a month...physically I'm female. Maybe it's a mental thing? Oh dear. Perhaps I should seek out professional help? Maybe, instead of going away for my vacation, I'll just allow my maleness to come out ... be a dude for awhile. It's not that I totally believe the computer guru but...it's hard not to wonder if there may be some divine truth in what it spews out. I mean...algorithms...how can one argue against science and math? Puhhhhllease. Interesting that there are those who feel that this form of 'science' can tell us anything more than illustrate our obession with labelling and cataloguing difference based on binary code. 1 or 0...Black or White...Chick or Dude. Yet...the gender genie does allow for grey doesn't it. It did suggest that I was a 'butch chick.' Hmmm...could the binary be breaking down? Maybe there is hope...even the computer program admits that there are additional categories out there. Hmmm...I'd be interested to know what happens to a male writer who gets a female rating...will he be called a femme? Oh dear...I sense another binary on the way. Calgon...take me away.

Female Score: 833Male Score: 800
The Gender Genie thinks the author of this passage is: female!

Guess I'll stay away from the ranch for a bit.

2 comments:

Candis said...

Hooray for vacation!!!

And hurrah that I'm not the only one whose gender seems elusive to the ol' genie!!

Labris said...

Initially my posts were (apparently) ambiguous but lately I've (again, apparently) gone through a macho writing phase. Hrmf.

Note that although the creator of the GG anticipated a success rate of 80%, the actual success rate is closer to 60%. That's not much better than flipping a coin.