Thursday, July 28, 2005

Knick Knack Paddy Whack

I've spent some hours today packing. I like packing. I'm not really sifting too much however. I'll leave that for later. Basically, I'm just putting stuff into boxes without much thought...cramming stuff in...trying to make it fit. I have a lot of little stuff (this may not be grammatically correct but, those who know me will know what I mean and probably agree with the assessment). Went to see the new place today. I've kept changing my mind as to whether or not I liked it. I signed the lease close to 2 months ago...I couldn't remember what it looked like. I do like it. It's much larger than what I am used to (a good thing considering the size of the family--2 big people, 2 little people and 2 cats). J mentioned that he would like another kid. Well, actually, he said 'yup...I decided that I think that maybe well we should perhaps have another kid.' I told him that I was fertile tonight. He had to go to work...Styx & Saga. I can't get into Gowan as the frontman for Styx. J phoned me during 'criminal mind' ... sounded loud and fuzzy over the cell phone. Darn audio engineers. I called my mom tonight. Just to say hello. No...not really. It's never about hello with her. Can't really put my finger on it though. She had sent J & I an anniversary card. It is cute. Very nice gesture. I thanked her for it. She responded by saying that she had asked the people standing around in the card shop to read it...then told them it was for her daughter (knowing chuckles all around) and then told me that this card was a 'keeper.' Why does she do this? I keep knick knacks. I keep a wide assortment of 'odd' things for various sentimental/unsentimental/remembrance like reasons. But, I decide what I keep. Now, it's not like I would toss the card. I keep cards as a rule. Now I feel obliged to keep the card. It no longer stands alone as a memory of a gesture. Grrrrr. I know...get over it. But, it's not like this is the first time. I wonder if it's that she knows I collect things and wants to know for sure that the things she gives me warrant collection? Ahhh...wouldn't it be great to read and know the minds of the insecure? Instead of being the mature one, however, I don't tell her 'of course I'll keep it...I'll treasure it always' or even 'you know that I love you ... card or no card' , I say instead 'mmmmm...so how has your day been?' Effectively changing direction of the conversation. Yup. I'm chicken too. Sometimes, I just get a bit too overwhelmed with trying to figure out how people tick (myself included). As part of their daycare, the kids are selling lemonade on the street tomorrow. I'm looking forward to walking there and imbibing. Apparently, the kids have made it on their own. They are proud. They are growing. Fast. Maybe, perhaps, it might be a good idea if, well ...

No comments: