Thursday, August 30, 2007

Small Offensive Victories

I finally did it. It's a small thing really. But huge. Really huge. Last night I rolled over and slept in the middle of the bed. Yup. No longer hugging the side I ventured out into the vast emptiness beside me...and it was good. Sooooo good. I woke up refreshed. Nothing ached. The bed no longer feels empty. It's just the right size for me and the occasional night time visit from a wee one and the cats, of course. I'm looking forward to bed as I write this. I can hardly wait for when I get around to switching over to flannel sheets...the sign that winter is approaching.

I fixed a drip in my bathtub. I'm not a wuss when it comes to home repair but plumbing has never been something I've dabbled in. Well, I figured out how to turn off the water and I opened the sucker up. All it needed was a washer replacement and voila! One other thing I can handle on my own thank you very much.

Today the kids had a dental appointment and S had an eye doctor appointment. We went out for lunch and did some school supply shopping as well. All in all a good and full day.

I'm very disappointed with the Canadian War Museum's decision to change its panal display describing the controversy surrounding the bombing campaign of the allied forces in Germany during World War II. Sigh. I guess historical facts don't matter as much as not offending folks.

Speaking of being non offensive, the ubiquitous 'support our troops' propaganda is getting to be a bit much. Seriously. I can't really think that there is anyone who does not 'support' the men and women who are risking their lives in our country's name. But. The question arises (well, it doesn't arise which is part of the problem) that the mode/method for this 'support' is never defined. What does 'support our troops' actually mean? Its hard to argue against such an innocuous statement but its also hard to stomach when one gets the feeling that this statement is both meaningless and chock full of meaning for those 'in the know.' The similarities to the 'choose life' campaign are great. Who wouldn't 'choose life'? Except...whose life. Under what circumstances...etc. etc. The biggest problem with pat sayings and social mantras is that one cannot dissect them and examine them and tease out from them meanings not readily apparent on the surface. To do that is to admit that one does not accept what is being said. One might, oh the horror, possibly cause offense. And to not accept it means that one is against it. If you're not with us, you're against us. And if you are one of 'them' and not one of 'us' you may as well take the train out of Dodge.

What a scary world to live in. And to think, we're the lucky ones who live in a democracy.

No comments: