Friday, May 19, 2006

The Show is Over, Long Live the Show

Strange feeling this. Closed a show this afternoon. Struck it out. It's gone. Replaced it with another show that ran tonight. I left at curtain. Tomorrow is another show. Sunday will have two. Monday is a rehearsal for shows on Thursday and Saturday. Wednesday and Friday are rehearsals for next Sunday's show. Get 'em in, Get 'em on, Get 'em out. That's our motto. Today was a blur. Everything got done. I'll miss the folks that left this afternoon. It was a really good group to work with. That's how it goes tho'...you meet people for a brief time and work like dogs together to create something special...then let it all go. The set comes down, the costumes are packed away, the lights get focused back to plot. The loading door gets closed and the stage is readied for the next group. I'm looking forward to Tuesday. It's a day off. This weekend I only have a couple small shifts so it's not so bad. I'm craving some serious family time. I'm also craving going to a bar/pub, dancing madly to 'the smiths,' 'the violent femmes,' etc. and drinking scotch and coke and playing some passable pool. I don't remember the last time I got drunk...with friends...just because. I'm also craving a good read. 'The Da Vinci Code', while diverting, was no mental exercise. A week of watching 'Hamlet' has made me realize how wonderful good language and acting can be...and how much I miss it. I start dreaming about 'writing that book' I've been putting off...or working on some other artistic venture. Actually, while watching the play today, I thought how it would work if the characters of Hamlet were portrayed as cards from a common playing deck...with Hamlet as the joker. It would work. I think it would work quite well. I like playing in my brain.


No comments: