Monday, May 22, 2006

For Shame

I've a day off from my day/evening/weekend/career? job tomorrow. Yippee. I plan to work on cleaning the upstairs bathroom, picking up in the kids' rooms, getting some flower type plants, picking up some seeds (yes...although there is a frost warning upon us tonight, the time for planting is nigh), go to the gym (been far too long), do some groceries, have a spa-like bath, get a book from a bookstore (still haven't read the latest...yes, it's been a couple years now...from David Adams Richards), read a bit, drink some wine (thank you CTP), do no more than 3 loads of laundry and cut my toe nails. I have a full day ahead of me. That said, a couple things have been on my mind.

1) I spoke to a dear friend the other day. His partner hates me. This wasn't always the case. We got on quite well. She decided, however, to let me know about her intense hatred last year (a week after I had taken her out for dinner at the Gypsy Coop). I've avoided calling because a) I don't want to cause more trouble, and b) I'd rather avoid confrontation just in case she was the one to answer the call. I honestly don't know what happened. My friend cites run of the mill craziness. Perhaps. It's kinda weird knowing that someone out there feels that I have caused them nothing but grief. And here I thought our last meal together was rather tasty.

2) I don't have any friends close by to have coffee with on a whim. This sucks. But, I do know of 2 people who I haven't called in a bit that really could become said coffee whim folks. What's holding me back? Inertia probably.

3) The sports frenzy that appears to be everywhere these days is bothering me. It's not that I'm anti competition. I'm all for it. I'm as competitive as the next person (perhaps a bit more) but, I like to compete to improve myself...not to put someone else down. On a grander scale, if our country's team can beat another country's team does that make us superior in any real way? Does it really matter? Why can't we take lessons from one of the greatest indoor sports...yes, I'm talkin' sex. The only time there are losers are when any of the folks involved aren't having a good time.

4) It makes me sad when I see strong women getting beat up and smashed down for being too mouthy (this mouthiness only noticed because their strengths successfully lead them to positions basking in proverbial limelight where they are expected and encouraged to profer expertise on things far beyond the scope of their knowledge/experience). They really should learn to remain demure and uncontroversial. Maybe we just expect too much from them. Like asking a wet behind the ears pop singer for her views on Iraq and then deciding to scoff at her answers. We set them up, then tear them apart. Frankly, it's a bit dull. I'm also reminded of being in grade 2 and being forced to walk in the ditch on the way to school because I answered too many questions in class.

5) Bad acting, silly dialogue, unbelievable premises ... when will this drought be over? The emperor is naked folks! Stark naked!

6) Is money so important that our only punitive action is to withhold it? I yearn for public stocks. What about some old fashioned shame? I'd actually buy that.

No comments: