Friday, May 05, 2006

Fantasy

Ok. Sorry. I have to gloat a bit. Last night was wonderful! It's hard, sometimes, when you are with someone for a long time to keep the proverbial spark alive. It takes work. Understanding. Compromise....yadda yadda yadda. So. Last night, J and I each had an 'opening night' in separate theatres. I left for home as soon as my show started. I have staff who run the shows in my space. I would rather bugger off and be with my kids. J had to stay for his show. Not so much 'had to' ... it is a labour of love. Well. I hinted. J got the hint!!! Big time! At home alone, I began to think that J would probably forget about me and stay with the cast at the theatre and...later move on with the stragglers of the group to a nearby pub and get trashed only to stumble home around 3am reeking of cigarettes and alcohol, crashing on the coucn and making the next day a veritable right off. It's happened before. Not last night though! Around 11pm I heard the familiar key opening the back door. J came home. Not only did he come home...he brought home some beer from the cast party! He told me that he had worked like a dog with these people all week and, when the show was over, he enjoyed a celebratory drink with them. After that, he told them that he had an early morning and had to go. They all cheered him and he took off. He told me that he had been thinking of me all day. And, was kind of excited at being able to surprise me. He told me that he would rather share his 'triumph' with me than anyone else. We sat on the couch...drank the beer ... and talked!! We haven't shared a beer together in about a year.(talked until we went upstairs...but you may thank me for not going into more detail). It was magical. Seemed, at times, more fantasy than reality. It may seem strange but, last night finally showed me that J actually does put us first. Our relationship matters to him. I know that I should 'know that' but, without an occasional reminder, it's amazing how quickly things can sour. Well, I'll sign off now. J is in the shower. I brought the kids to school and hit the gym this morning. Now, we are going for a drive in the country. Maybe do a picnic lunch. Cheerio.

No comments: