Monday, December 05, 2005

My Humpy Lumps Aren't Beige

And just what have I been up to? Life, I guess. I've sunk into a novel which is always a sweet sweet and mildly obsessive venture. The way the Crow Flies by Ann-Marie Macdonald. I'm enjoying it. I'm in it and outside of it and around it and beyond it. I joined a gym. Am actually enjoying the cardio machines. My trainer is giving me good support. I'm not as out of shape as I thought. I need work but, thankfully, it's not a hopeless cause. I watched the Grey Cup the other weekend. Good Game!!! One of those 'I don't care who wins...they are playing well and it's exciting' games. Well...Edmonton was actually walking all over Montreal for the first half but...then the game picked up! Things I've never seen in the CFL (or football in general). At one point, the Montreal quarter back fired off a shot and it bounced off of someone's helmut back into his hands and he fired it off into the end zone just slipping off the finger tips of the receiver. Turns out that even if it had been caught, it wouldn't have counted. You can't throw twice. I did not know that. The game ended up in OT. First time since the 60's. It was a nail biter. Montreal QB threw a gorgeous TD and thought they had the game wrapped up. Edmonton followed with pretty much the same play. Very cool. Interesting to see the different coaches. Montreal headed up by an old veteran with a walrus moustache and close to zero facial expression. Edmonton led by a rookie who had a difficult time controlling his emotions. Edmonton ended up taking it. Good on em. I made a huge pot of chili. J supplied the munchies. Half-time performance featured the Black Eyed Peas. Hmmm.. I like them. It's just...well...no one sounds good at half-time. It just doesn't work. The audio sucks. Performers can't hear themselves.
Sigh. At least the female singer did her 'job' in providing young adolescents with wet dream fodder for the next little while.
I'm looking forward to the vacation. Christmas vacation. Christmas. Yup. I like Christmas. Our department is having a "holiday luncheon." I'm setting it up (it's on my stage) but I fear I must boycott. The logic/reasoning behind not calling it a Christmas party is weak. I come from Sault Ste. Marie. In the 80's, my fair city declared itself to be unilingual. A wrong headed decision but, it arose out from a grass roots frustration with how things were being done in the name of equality. Back lash is always quick to rear it's ugly head. Our supervisor want to avoid any possible problems and avoid the use of the term christmas. Except that we can have a christmas tree. And play christmas carols. Already, I hear rumblings and murmerings about how the 'we' are being dictated to by the 'they.' Sigh. My protest is with the drive to make all things bland. Uncolourful. Beige. Beige, I think I'll paint the ceiling beige.

No comments: