Wednesday, December 07, 2005

And NO, I Don't Want to "Get Over It"

I passed by flags at half-mast the other day. 'who died?', I asked. I asked J. He shrugged his shoulders. I had forgotten. Then I remembered. Then I read this: take-minute-and-remember and I was sad. Sad because it happened. Sad because it still happens. Sad because I had forgotten to remember. Sad because a part of me wanted to forget. Sad because change doesn't seem to happen fast enough. Sad because some things change too quickly. Sad because I have a daughter. Sad because I have a son. Sad because December should mean "peace." Sad because some things are still not called hate crimes. Sad because I have inside me the capacity to hate. Then I smiled. The flags were at half-mast the other day. Everywhere! Someone remembered. And would continue to do so.

1 comment:

East to East said...

miss you. write more. don't eat yellow snow.