Sunday, August 14, 2005

A little water music

Got home a few hours ago. Have not received hugs sooooo huge from anyone as I got from the kids. Of course it would be pizza night too! Mommy and Daddy are Gods! So I'm feeling a wee bit stiff, sore and battered. J and I left on late Friday afternoon and arrived at the site at approximately 7pm. We set up our campsite and waited for the rest of the group. And waited. And waited. J placed a tarp over our tent that was the envy of the camp ground. We had our arm chairs out and beers in hand (mine Stella Artois, his Canadian). And we waited. Eventually, we got up to look around (10pm) and finally ran into JO. Seems the group had stumbled upon our site after we had left it (go figure) ... they had decided to camp on a different ground...in the 'quiet area.' Our site then became the designated 'party area.' So, imagine if you will a camp ground filled with university aged student types strutting their collective stuff and 'whoo hooing' to all hours. Then there was our group. We too got a noise warning...wasn't from me...I was too close to comotose (11pm is my usual bedtime and we were looking at the other side of midnight) and declined to follow the rest of the group to the lodge for more partying...I crashed. J soon followed...he had imbibed a wee bit too much. Nope...we aren't 23 anymore.
Next morning we crawled out of the tent around 9am. J and I headed to breakfast and I was impressed by the spread. They have to feed over 600 people and the food was actually good and plentiful. No complaints. Not even with the coffee. The rest of the group wanted to hang out at the beach...J and I hooked on to a free mountain bike tour/lesson. Cool. It took 1/2 and we actually went on a one track course. It was fun. J and I then went swimming. Gorgeous water. I went on a paddle boat ride and by that time (11:30am) I was feeling pretty spent. I continued swimming though until lunch was served aroun 1pm (once again...yummy and plentiful). After lunch, we went to try out some kayaking. I loved it!!! Very cool to be in a one person vessel. Didn't take long to be zipping around either. J and I then rented a bike for me (J had brought his) and we went for an hour and a half ride. Ok...my bum hurt after the morning...now it was beginning to burn!!! I went back in the water to try to heal. Dinner time came and went, J and I sat on some couches with coffee (yes...this place actually had decent java!) and we began to zone out. Our scheduled trip time was for 7:30 the next morning so we went for a walk instead of partaking in the lodges '80's night' celebrations. (side note: It was very amusing to see a group of folks born in the late 80's dress for the decade. What they seem to have perceived from our beloved 80's was that it was filled with fushia prom dresses, side hung pony tails and tacky tacky clothes. Yes thought I ... but, there was soooo much more!) J and I went to our tent to attempt to crash admist the ruckus. I heard the sultry stylings of "jessie's girl" being played almost in key by the band...well...I'll keep you informed if there is anything more to say about this.
Next morning J's alarm went off and we dragged ourselves from the tent, got dressed and headed for breakfast. Coffee. Coffee. oh yeah, I also had special k with coconut on it...yummy...will have to keep that it mind for home. We had a briefing and filled up a couple school buses that would take us to the rapids. After stopping to get our helmets, jackets and paddles, we walked the rest of the way to the rafts. Ok. Overall the trip was wonderful. I was sitting at the back with J and got sufficiently bashed around by the waves and raft. Very very cool. My arms are aching with paddling. We also were told to leave the raft at one point and just drift down the river (also cool). Lunch was provided half way down...a fire was lit so we could warm up a bit....the water was warm but, wet clothes on land are never nice. We continued through other vicious sounding rapids (butcher's knife, chopping block and the like). After a bit we stopped and climbed a small cliff. Like lemmings, people lined up and jumped into the current below having only a short time to get oriented before having to swim like mad to the shore. I wasn't going to do it. I did it! I'm proud of myself. Very cool. Near the end of the run, we stopped to 'raft surf' a bit. Basically, this consisted of getting the raft caught between two currents and having the raft fill with water. Fun. By the time we landed, I was beat but happy. Now I'm home...sore...completely exhausted but had a lot of fun overall. I would love to try out the kayaking one next time. Not that I'm really interested in this exercise thing at all. Oh...and I might be the next victim of west nile...I can't even count the number of bites I have on me...mostly on my feet. Have sympathy please! J got a call in to work tonight. After I publish this, I'm off to bed...I'm even forgoing the shower. Way too tired. A good tired. A very very good tired. Good night.

1 comment:

Labris said...

Sounds awesome--it also sounds exactly like the place I went to years ago... coincidence?