Monday, August 15, 2005

My neighbourhood

Woke up this morning in pain. A dull throbbing tight achy all over pain. My shoulders and neck felt large. My arms felt heavy. My legs, already covered in mosquito made welts, burned. My back felt somewhat pre-labourish. Basically, my entire body was swearing at me. J had had to work last night and didn't get in until 3:30am. I forced myself into movement and got the kids up and clothed and fed and out. When I returned home I crashed on the couch and watched Tommy Lee guest star on Regis and Kelly. Yikes. You know those times that you are doing something that just isn't good for you but you haven't the strength to move? Watching Tommy bounce around on the interview stool playing air drums was one of those 'I really should have turned off or looked away' moments. I got J up and we went walking in our new neighbourhood. I thought I would get a spur of the moment hair cut (I felt in need of some pampering). Seems that the hair dressers in this neck of the woods don't work on Mondays unless there is a red and white striped pole in the front. My fair locks remain intact. I love that there is a hardware store close by. It's one of those 'it has everything in it' type of stores. Not like the home depots that are taking over the world...this one has basic hardware stuff but also sells plates, rat poison, garbage cans, cleaners for every occasion, gift cards and appliances. Everything is crammed into the smallest space possible. I love it. There is a decent drug store close by as well. This too is a good thing. Between the drug store and the hardware store lies a LCBO (liquor board of ontario folks!). There is also a bookstore/coffee shop, a Bridgehead, an amazing Deli with overpriced oils from around the world, a butcher (that will sell you the whole cow and throw in a chicken to boot), a fresh pasta shop, a shop specializing in tea and an Herb and Spice. Throw in 2 diners, 2 pubs, 2 fine dining establishments, a vegetarian eatery and a Thai food restaurant and one's meals on the run are covered. A luggage shop, a used sporting goods store, a new age type shop, a clothing store that had as its base price for everything from scarves to beach hats to blouses as $118, a knick knack place, a couple furniture stores (antique, modern and one a bit in between) and a few computer stores pretty much sum up the street. I like it. It's eclectic. It's yummy. It's home. Coming home my body seemed to be in a more forgiving mood. I started puttering. J had a nap. I picked up the kids. Cycle completed.

1 comment:

East to East said...

pain is there for a reason. like saying my website needs something new.
well - i hope you get barnacle butt.

xxxx