Saturday, July 09, 2005

Coffee, Coconut Oil, Pancakes, Teddy Bears and A Dinner for Two

Amazing how a cup of french roast and a couple of advil can make the pain of a headache a distant memory. Yes, I'm mixing my drugs today. This morning began early...too early. Had to be at work at 7am to oversee the set up of the bodybuilder competition. Got some swag (some carmel corn for the health conscious, a t-shirt, cup and a protein bar that, I swear but weight alone is a good replacement for 2 x's t-bone steaks). It's a very interesting group of people. A bit nuts to my mind but, then again, everyone seems to have his/her own particular form of crazy. I witnessed a coach gluing the bikini on to an athelete's skin, I witnessed other's oiling each other down. My office area reeks of coconut tanning oil. One athelete actually turned to me and asked why we insisted upon using this 'shit hole' -- he was referring to my very lovely theatre. I informed him that this 'shit hole' was the place I worked, the place I played and the place I loved. His response...'oh...ok then.' Thing is, I understand his point. He has a disability wherein using stairs is a huge pain (literal and figurative) and from the audience, the only way to access a washroom is to use stairs. He was getting frustrated and, well I was in the theatre before 7am without having adequate sleep or coffee working on a show that has really no artistic merit whatsoever. It's a money maker and it's times like this that my precious theatre gets treated like a cheap bordello and I'm its madame. I'm actually thinking of changing my title from technical director to that of hostess. I wonder if that would get me a pay raise?

When I got home, Jeff had made blueberry pancakes!!!!!!! (This is a little something that happens after a fight...for those who are interested...we haven't really made up yet but, we are no longer really on the outs either...kinda in limbo...won't complain cuz I got a good breakfast). Afterwards, we took the kids to the teddy bear's picnic on the grounds of Rideau Hall. Sierra was/is in a mood today so nothing's really any fun. Aryn on the other hand had a blast ... got his flower fixed up by a doctor (this picnic is in aid of the local childrens' hospital so the organizers arrange for a B.A.S.H. tent be set up complete with triage units and surgeons in attendence). Aryn then sat in the front seat of a fire truck, went in the back of an army medi-vac, had a burger, pet a couple goats, chatted up a fellow in a bear suit (kept asking the poor dude who he was in there...Aryn wasn't buying that it was a bear) Sierra cheered up with a Spongebog Squarepants popsicle (personally can't stand the character but, both kids love it!)

We all came home and then Aryn and Jeff took off to do some errands. Sierra and I have been hanging. She has decided (30s ago) to start crying and is insisting that nothing is wrong. Poor thing. ... I shall return to this. Ok...Jeff and Aryn are back...Jeff got himself some more climbing/map/backpack stuff. Sierra and I discussed things...seems she's just having a bad day. We all have 'em. Unavoidable. They suck.

Ok...Jeff just told me that he and I can go out for dinner. A sitter has been arranged. We get to stay out until 9pm--almost past my bedtime! Jeff and I are sparring...wonder when the need to needle each other will go away for a while. Or is it foreplay?

I think I need another cup of coffee.

No comments: