Friday, July 08, 2005

What if?

I'm enjoying an interesting lunch treat. I had made spinach pie a couple days ago and brought some to work. I had to take a chance as I'm never sure how long its fridge life is. I did not have any food containers the right size so I just put a couple pieces into a yogurt container. A couple minutes ago I just microwaved it. I then dumped it on to a plate. The two pieces of pie fused together so I ended up with a round ball of crust with yummy spinach and cheese on the inside. YAY -- my headache that has been bugging me all morning has now disappeared...seems it had something to do with hunger...funny that. The boys are setting up for the body builders upstairs. I'm glad that C finally began to charge for the set up. It takes a crew of 4 around 5 to 6 hours to do. No one thing is very difficult but, there are a lot of small details to take care of. Representatives from the High Commission of Trinidad & Tobago will be dropping by this afternoon. They want to check out the space again and see if they can get any leeway in terms of catering. This institution has developed a zero tolerance policy with regard to outside food sources. Liability. Insurance. Silliness really...everyone seems to be in a perpetual state of what if. What if someone gets food poisoning, what if someone slips, what if a wrench were to fall on someones head (ok...this one would hurt), what if someone cries or is made to feel bad about themselves, what if hearts get broken? Where is the risk? While it seems that we are all about lessoning and even eliminating risk, its abandonment is creating a very boring and staid world. If we end up taking a risk and losing, is our first thought really to see who we can blame for it? What happened to taking chances? Trying something new? Taking personal responsibility for one's own actions? Would it really be so bad to allow the high commission to bring in and serve a few tasty tidbits from the caribbean? Seems it would be. I'm glad I took a chance on my spinach pie this morning. My tummy is full and my headache is gone.

No comments: