Saturday, July 02, 2005

The Chest

My mom and her husband brought with them a chest that my dad had built for me. He gave it to me 2 Christmas's ago but, I didn't have the room for it in the apartment. I am moving come August so, I asked that my mom bring it with her when she visited. The chest is gorgeous. Back in Finland, my dad used to make a number of these. Mine has 3 drawers and has curved sides and a curved front...looks quite fat and jolly. the front and top are inlaid with veneer cut by hand into diamond shapes and glued one at a time in to place. A stain and multi varnish coat finish leaves the chest absolutely gorgeous. It will forever hold a special place in my heart. Why then did my mom give me a table cloth for it that my dad had given to her saying that I was to put it on the chest...that was where it belonged...and then, after giving it to me stated "that used to be my cloth...guess your father forgot" and ... as well, why did my husband have to come home late and drunk and bemoan the fact that the chest had arrived 30 days before our impending move? Why not after?

I think I will have to work on this idea further. To tease out what other items have inadvertently been placed inside this chest....or, maybe, just to get a few more things off mine.

No comments: