Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Check one two...one two...check one two

So, here I am on day 3. The third day. The pinnacle of a triumverate (if turned on its side). 3 cheers. 3 fold. mommy and daddy and baby make 3. 3 is a powerful number. 3-part harmony. 3 is filled with nuance. 3 is suspicious. 3 is a crowd. let's lift it on 3. my children are 3. 3 cheers for 3! and 3 somes (if you're into that sort of thing). 3 day's grace. holy trinity. tricycles. events happen in 3's. without 3 is there a middle? an average? a mean?
Where I work, there are 3 dressing rooms. When examining them the other day, I noticed black dust sticking to the ceiling around the airvent in each room. Kinda icky. Kinda gross. I could have cleaned it myself but, decided to 'call it in' instead. My job, although this may to some seem surprising, is not to act as cleaner. I dutifully called it in. I took yesterday off. When I got in this morning, I had several voicemails from a member of the maintenance staff alarmed at the possibility of mould growing in these rooms. I called him back and said that it wasn't mould...just dust. I was told that if I mentioned mould, I'd get more action. But, that's silly I thought...it's just dust...black and icky...it needs hot water and a cloth...situation resolved. I hung up the phone and heard a rustling in the hallway. 3 cleaners...with gloves, brushes, brooms and vacuum...ready to tackle the 'dust.' Although it was dust, not mould, and they knew it was dust and not mould, the fact that the word mould had been mentioned somewhere along the chain of events had brought about immediate action. Seems we are becoming part of an extreme world. Dust as dust isn't important enough to be of concern. Dust masquerading as mould, however, necessitates immediate action. So, when I am sick I should say I am dying before I will be given chicken soup. The 3 cleaners (like wise men) swept and vaccuumed...took over an hour. The large fuzzy dust bits are gone although a greyish film remains on the ceiling. When I finish this post, I will get a cloth and some hotwater.

1 comment:

Labris said...

Great story, Nina. :)