Friday, March 07, 2008

Splitting Roles

I'm feeling good. My job, in many respects, puts me in a position wherein I have to train/guide folks. This isn't always easy. I am fully aware of my own limitations in terms of patience, ego and insecurity. I do, however, love a good learning opportunity. I'm constantly learning. Today I fell in love with rosco 378 and a blend of rosco 24 & 27. Nice. I sense a change to my house plot in the near dance future. I also made head way with a young designer who, turns out, has a great deal of potential and, when egos are set aside, is a damn fun person to work with too. There were a couple of amusing bumps:

Him: Can I see your wash colours?
Me: Ok. Here.
Him: Ok. Now I want to see mine.
Me: ??
Him: I'd like to see mine so that I can compare. Bring them up please.
Me: We've only just started the hang. Nothing has been focused. Your colours aren't up in the air yet love.
Him: Ahhh. Got you. Ok. We'll use your wash then.
Me. Ok.

I love pre show energy. I especially love pre show energy when younger folk are involved. There's something to be said for inexperience. They take more chances cuz they don't know that 'things aren't done that way.' Maybe a youth orientated theatre company could fly in this city? Something to mull.

I've started work on the next show. Opera. The director wants to fly a doll house in and have it float 6' above the stage. He asked me if it were possible. I said yes because I totally want to see a floating doll house glowing above my stage. How cool is that? How...How....Opera? I love opera. It's totally garish and over the top. It makes no excuses. It doesn't need any.

*******************************************************************************

The other night I took the kids to a fire station. The girl's Sparks troupe was taking the tour and the boy and I tagged along. I'm a fan of the burly fire fighters. One of the fire fighters asked the group if any of the kids smoked. My girl blurted out 'my daddy smokes.' The fire fighter said, that that was too bad and he wouldn't be able to hang out at the house if someone was smoking. My girl responded, 'that's ok. My daddy doesn't live with us so you can come any time.'

A little later, the same fire fighter asked if the kids knew whether or not their homes had smoke detectors and if they were tested regularly. Once again, my girl raised her hand. 'We have one. It goes off everytime my mommy cooks dinner.'

A mom came up to me and said 'you've been totally outed as a single mom who burns her food.' Sigh.

I've also tried to sew the wee ones' snow pants. I can't justify to myself purchasing new ones this close to winter's end but...my sewing sucks. At least the wee ones are still young enough to think that my frankenstitching is half decent.

Today is the first day of march break. My mom and her fella are driving up from the Sault tomorrow -- I'm a bit more than a wee bit concerned...there's gonna be a huge storm -- and they will take the wee ones back to the Sault with them on Monday. I'll have 3 days kid free. How do I feel about it? The best word would be conflicted. Glad for the break but I'll be missing them. Perhaps though, I will actually make time for me. The non mom non td me. Who is that exactly?

2 comments:

Grifozz said...

you need a kitchen witch to help with the burning food thing. If you already have a kitchen witch, you need to sit down and have a little chat and explain that she doesn't appear to be doing her job... (grin)

I'm basically a warm-hearted creature. said...

I have one but it belonged to xman's grandmother...perhaps I need a replacement? or an exorcism?