Monday, August 13, 2007

Time

When did I become that person? When did it become ok to make me wait? I'm not talking about time to heal or time to sort things out. I'm not even talking about things that 'happen' such as meeting so and so and losing track of time at the pub. I'm talking about waiting in a real sense. I'm talking about having to wait because someone else is late. And the real reason for their being late is that I have become a person, to them, not worthy of having my time respected. Even now, I do my damnedest to be where I've told people I will be. When someone tells me that they have told so and so that they would meet them at a specific time I will have to say 'go' even though my needs may not yet have been met. I do my best to respect other people and their time. When did I let this slide for me? When did I begin to accept that perhaps my time wasn't as valuable as theirs? Perhaps I should join a growing majority and say fuck it. My time is my own and if you choose not to show up, I'm outta here. But I'm not like that. And I can't just pick up and go. I need to depend on a babysitter...who may or may not show up on time. I think, however, that my time does deserve to be respected. And if you want me in your life, you'll need to show up at the right time.

No comments: