Monday, April 23, 2007

Follow the Signs

It's Monday and I have the day off. This follows a Sunday off. Yesterday was spent recovering. I lx'd a show on Saturday night with a Friday night rehearsal. It was harder than I thought to do my regular job and run the lights as well. It was fun though. I love lighting dance. Especially East Indian dance. The East Indian community here welcomes me and my ying yang personalities. When members of this group enter the theatre I feel in part that some of my extended family have arrived. We bitch, cajole, giggle, shout, laugh and most of all have fun as we create the magic that will be on stage. My legs are certainly feeling the many ladder rungs and stairs they climbed.

I'm very happy with my new mattress now. Had a bit of a rough start though.

On Friday night after the rehearsal, I asked my sound tech if she would like a ride to her car. She had parked on the other side of campus and I thought it would be safer (not that the campus isn't safe...but why take a chance eh?) We went to my jeep and the jeep wouldn't start. My wonderful jeep choked and sputtered and blew out oil from the tailpiped and tried to start. When I pumped the gas the engine roared to life but with no foot on the pedal the engine proceeded to stall. My audio tech and I then walked to where her car was and she gave me a ride home. The car she was driving was her grandmothers. A Mazda protege. Nice car. A car that I actually liked. Roomy. I asked her what she thought of it. She said it was fine. Best part about it? It started. Funny I said. Ha Ha.

I got home and was looking forward to passing out on my new bed (delivered that evening while I was at work). I went upstairs and saw that my bedside table lamp had a huge chunk removed from it. Grrrrrr. When J got home, he told me that the delivery folks had knocked it over and I should receive a phone call from the customer service people on Monday. Grrrr. Needless to say, I didn't sleep well what with the dead car, broken lamp, overtired and sore body and mattress that didn't feel right.

Next morning, I woke up and told J that I was going to get a new car that day. I went on line and found it. A Mazda 3 GT sport. Copper. My new car.

I packed a lunch and we took the kids for a picnic at the dealership. On the way, the first radio commericial that came on was for Mazda. Another sign. I had J and the kids eat on the grass in front of my car and then I took it for a test drive. The drive was moot. It was my car. One 1/2 hour later, I had signed on the dotted line. I'll be able to bring it home next week. What about the jeep you might ask? Well, the dealership will tow it away for me on Monday and then give me a further discount based on its trade in value. I feel a bit ruthless but, while I had fixed the jeep a couple times this is the first time that I felt let down by it. I was tired. It didn't start. It must go. Besides. The Mazda will sip gas rather than guzzle it. It handles beautifully. The kids like it. It doesn't smell funky -- the jeep was really beginning to get a stank going on that was a mixture of kid, mold, decay and plain ol' B.O. Plus, the Mazda has a powered sun roof and I dig the colour.
I have been splurging lately. Have I won the lottery? Nope. I've just decided to go further into debt. Seems to work for the Jones' . Besides, I had to follow the signs. Saturday was the day to get a car. I guess one could say that I run on impulse.

No comments: