Thursday, March 01, 2007

Incandescent Lightbulb Moon

So the committee in charge of voting on whether or not a 4% budgetary increase should be alloted to daycares voted yes. Hurrah. It's not a lot but, it is damned necessary. But lo. The actual city council finally drafted it's final budget. Nowhere in the document is this 4% increase to be found. It was agreed upon. But has now disappeared. Poof. Nice to know that our elected officials are on the ball.

I chaired my first meeting as president of the daycare the other day. I did well enough I suppose. Kept order. Kept to a schedule. Ended 1/2 earlier than planned. Less babbling. More deciding. More home time for all. I count that as a success.

Have finally signed the necessary papers to transfer the kidlings to a new school (one actually in our neighbourhood) for September. It's actually one of the top public schools in the city and up in the high percentile for the province. I'm a bit squeamish about the 'uppityness' of the neighbourhood. For those that know me, one of the gentry I isn't. It was a hard choice for me but, I decided to not let my anti snobbishness make me a reverse snob. The school is closer. Chances are the kidlings will now have friends close enough for visits. And hey. It has a chess club and choir. It does mean that J and I will need to juggle our work schedules around some in order to work around the school hours (no more daycare for us!) I think it will work out for the best though. Here's hoping. Weird that I'm thinking about September already...

'Romeo & Juliet' was a success. Now on to a few and sundry variety shows until the next show 'What the Butler Saw' by Orten roles in on Sunday. Tomorrow will be busy. The crossover in our stage left speakers needs replacing, gels need sorting, patch point at the audio console need checking and, if need be, fixin'. I have some
new toys that I need to check out to make sure they work as well as some focus notes to work on. On top of that, I have a line check with the camera dudes who are recording Saturday's gospel variety night. I'm looking forward to it. I really don't work well at a desk for any length of time. I need ladders.

I also need books. I am currently relishing a book called 'Snow' by Orhan Pamuk (Nobel winning book). I picked it on a whim cuz it was a Turkish author and the title was Snow. No other reason really. It's wonderful. Thick. Multi-layered and satisfying. I'm also reading 'Bloodletting & Miraculous Cures' by Vincent Lam (this years Giller Prize winner). The difference between the 2 styles is telling. While Pamuk is thick and meaty, Lam's work is relatively lightweight. Lam's characters are somewhat 2 dimensional. Yes they are driven but the incidents in their lives that drive them are obvious. Kind of 'oh ya...that's why she's like that' as if any person can be defined by a single 'oh ya.' I'm enjoying Lam's book. It's just lighter. Quicker. With Pamuk I find myself rereading passages. Learning more about the characters and the world they inhabit with each pass. I guess that's why Pamuk is beside my bed while Lam is relegated to the toilet (not to be confused with shampoo bottle instructions).

I mentioned my love for the novel 'Snow' and its evident 'European-ness' to my boss. He's an English Lit grad and a good person with whom to prattle away the dull hours. He believes that the biggest problem with American lit is its inability to move beyond the notion of the failed 'American Dream.' All characters are situated within the parameters of and in relation to this dream and therefore are never really complete. Hmmm. I guess some Canadian works suffer from this intellectual solipsism...viewing characters in relation to an American counterpart (imagined or real). Canadian drama tends to suffer from unnecessary second acts. Playwrites don't seem to know when enough is enough. They state a case. Then they second guess it. Insecurity? But what they are trying to say is then hammered over and over again so that the viewers end up holding their heads and saying 'I get it! Make it stop. I get it!' Reminds me of an essay I once wrote about the treatment of Japanese Canadians during World War II. It began with various statements regarding the sun.

Australia has banned incandescent lightbulbs. California wants to follow suit. I've been humming
Bob's Your Uncle this past week.

No comments: