Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam

My email inbox has been inundated of late with spam. I know. I'm not the only one. I have been luckier than most I guess.

My penis enlargement, breast enhancement, please send money to me so that I can escape Nigerian exile and in return I'll give to you a veritable fortune spam emails have been few and far between.

I even have been so bold as to scoff and mock those less fortunate than I. They, thought I, must not know how to properly block these unwanted nuisances. Although I have had no clue as to how to perform such 'blocks' I believed, nonetheless, that what I was doing was right and what they were doing was obviously wrong.

Until recently that is. Now, my email gets a healthy dose of spam. Between 10 and 20 messages everyday. Each message is thematically linked. Each with a seemingly nasty intent. To question my sense of well being.

What is the message?

Lose Weight Now. Use herbs, drugs and surgery to get rid of all those unwanted pounds. If that fails, try acupuncture or hypnotism. There seem to be more ways to lose unwanted poundage than there are to put them on. That I am receiving these messages at a time when I actually feel pretty good about myself -- I have lost approximately 25 lbs this past year through, go figure, eating a healthy diet and partaking in exercise -- the timing of this particular flood of spam is oddly ironic. I don't know why I have been suddenly blessed with these messages obsessed with my weight and welfare. Perhaps I should say thank you?

What would McLuhan say?

No comments: