Thursday, March 02, 2006

Because there are people who want to know...Really!

A typical week day:

Alarm goes off at 6am. I kick J to get him to turn it off. If this is not successful, I look to see if one of the kidlings is in bed in order to get them to do it. If this does not work, I growl and get out of bed (the alarm is across the room...you can guess why) and press snooze. I stumble back to bed and push J out of the way (he always seems to steal my pillow during this time...sneaky bastard) and try to ignore the whining and mewling from the most annoying cats in the world. One drools and the other sounds like a rusty gutter pipe scraping against a tin roof. Finally, I get up, go downstairs and feed the beasts and put on coffee. I go back upstairs and very unceremoniously turn on the light in the kids' room and announce that they have 5 minutes to get dressed and get downstairs or I'll choose their outfits for the day! This is usually enough for my girl to leap out of bed and scream 'no mamma...I'll pick my own clothes!' The boy will squirm and flail his arms about and say things like 'go away I'm tired.' After a few more minutes of threatening and cajoling and, let's face it, playing, the kids and I are dressed and we go downstairs for breakfast.

Kids eat oatmeal or cereal. I wash left over dishes from night before and clean out stinky reeking cat box. I get the kids' lunches ready (hopefully I was aware enough the night before to make them in advance). Depending on what's in the fridge, the lunches range from gourmet feasts to siberian work camp fare. After breakfast, I send the kids back upstairs to brush their teeth. I follow them after downing a coffee and taking out some form of protein from the freezer for dinner. I then go upstairs in order to make sure the kids brush their teeth. I then send them downstairs to begin the chore of snowpants, boots and the like. Finally they are ready. I am ready. We get out the door (hopefully before 8am), get in the car and boot off to their school. After dropping them off, I race off to begin my 'work day.' Even writing it sounds funny.

I usually chat with my supervisor/friend (the best combo really) and see what's up ahead for the day. I take a break around 10am for coffee and a muffin and to read the daily free paper. After that I do what needs to be done until lunch. If it's busy, I'll skip lunch. If it's not too busy I'll walk down to the caf and grab some noodles or sushi.

The afternoon usually flies by and by quitting time (4:30 or 5) what was needed to get done has been done. What sorts of things you may ask? Well, things like getting technical info from clients about upcoming productions, making sure our stock inventory is up to date, making sure professors are able to work their gear, making sure gear works, fixing what I can, sending stuff out for repair when I can't, dealing with and keeping on top of silly new safety legislations, updating coming events info, booking staff for gigs...etc. etc. and so on. If there is an evening event, I stick around until it starts in order to make sure that all is running smooth.

I then get in the car and go pick up the kids from school and take them home. If J has been home, he usually takes care of dinner but, if he's been working, we'll throw something together when I get home. The kids get a snack and watch some t.v. until dinner is cooking then they start their homework. At this point I might throw in a load of laundry. After dinner, I get the dishes, J gets the table and the kids get upstairs for playtime/jammie time/teeth time.

After the dishes, I'll go the gym for an hour or so. When I get back, if the kids aren't in bed yet, we put them there. The laundry moves to the dryer. I sit with J for a while like a lump on the couch. We fold laundry when it's ready. I make the kids lunches for the next day. We watch t.v. I might do some computer stuff. I go upstairs, shower and go to bed.

All in all it's a pretty good life.

2 comments:

East to East said...

see: now that is EXACTLY what i wanted to hear.
You sound good. kids sound good. everything sounds good.

What are snowsuits again?
xxxx

Anonymous said...

Soooo....why am I so tired. Doesn't sound like I do a hell of a lot.