Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Soul Food

I made an amazing pork dinner yesterday. First, I fried up chopped onion in butter. When the onion was soft, I added porkchops (having already dusted them with flour and breadcrumbs). I fried these on both sides and added salt and pepper. After the porkchops were brown, I put them one at a time into a cassarole dish (with a lid) and layered them with sliced apples (keep the peels -- I used Royal Gala, a personal favourite). I then got a cup of apple juice to which I added some corn starch, lemon grass and dijon mustard. I poured this mixture over the pork and put the dish in the oven for about 1 hr at 350 deg. Very tender. Very yummy. This was eaten over a rice/noodle/peas combination. Enjoy.

I also made fresh hummous...a quick and easy lunch favourite for the kids.

J made fresh bread on the weekend. Best bread I've ever tasted.

Kids and I made banana spice muffins. Next Saturday we'll make chocolate chip cookies.

It's nice when being in the kitchen is just that...being in the kitchen. No sense of obligation. No sense of role playing. Just a time to be together and enjoy each others' company. Real soul food.

No comments: