Monday, August 22, 2005

When we skate, we skate on ice

I'm listening in on my kids again. S is explaining to A about skating:
A: 'Can we just stand there?'
S: 'No, you have to skate.'
A: 'Can we skate on the road?'
S: 'No, when we skate, we skate on ice.'

Yesterday at dinner, A told us that he was going to drive the car. S gave immediate reasons why this wouldn't work:
1) His feet can't reach the pedals;
2) He doesn't have keys.
I told J that this was clear evidence of the generation gap at work. Wherein we would think that the kids are obviously too young and therefore the thought of them driving cars at this age is inconceivable, their reasons are reflective of a different thought processes at work. Things like this make me feel old.

There are other things, however, that make me feel rather young. My immediate neighbours are all very pleasant ('cept for one but he and his family are moving out Sept. 1st...he was the one who mentioned in passing 'hmmm...never had a wasp problem before you guys arrived' and 'hmmm...never found rocks in the parking area until your kids came around...not that I'm saying it was them' ... imagine the hidden 'hmmmm' I had in my mind). Anyway, back to the nice neighbours...I've met the mothers/wives of three of the family. They are around my biological age but I feel young (not necessarily in a good way) around them. Hard to explain but, I just feel a bit immature around them. I am bare foot, they have sandels/shoes...I am kicking the soccer ball around, they are leaving it to the kids....hmmm.
Even reading this I can't help but think that a lot of my feelings are coming from me not them. I just can't pin it down. I guess a large part of it is that I don't feel 36...I think the same way as I did when I was 24...don't I? Ok...I got married...work more than study...have kids...but...I still don't really feel that this is my life. Certainly there is more to my life than these stats.
I think that maybe, just perhaps, I'll try to learn how to skate this year.

No comments: