Saturday, August 27, 2005

Managing to Lead?

Semantic masturbation aside, I think that there is more to the leader/manager question than meets the eye. I don't really know why this subject is taking up such a large portion of my public consciousness these days but, until I dwell on it some more, I fear that it may take up permanent residence--something I do not want. I work at a University. The purpose of gaining a 'higher' education at a university, at least to my way of thinking, is to provide one with a challenging, thought provoking environment where one can sample from a vast pool of knowledge bases. Then one can begin thinking for oneself having thereby learned to take in information, chew on it for awhile and come up with one's own conclusions. Yes, I support a liberal arts education. It disturbs me when I speak to students who are embarking upon their university studies and their purpose for being here is to get the information/tools they need to be highly paid (therefore respected?) members of the work force. Forget about learning for the sake, and love, of learning. The university is buying into this corporate/cookie cutter mentality. Students are becoming clients. Guest speakers at the university include the CEO of Magma International (only a handful of actual students came to this one...a lot of profs and high level admin folks were present however). Add to this that the Arts department is promoting a new service that will group arts students together so that one is kept with the same group of people taking the same courses for the next 4 years (much like highschool...I wasn't very much fond of highschool myself). The mentality behind this is to create a more postive, nurturing space for students to learn in and giving them constant 'study buddies' with whom they may share thier intellectual journey. Heaven forbid we expect these kids to flourish in new and challenging situations where they are forced to think for themselves!! There is also a department here that states as its purpose that it is to create the leaders of tomorrow. (yup...finally got back to the L word) Here students study such things as public affairs and management. Ok, I'll reveal yet another bias of mine...the bias against corporate management training. The methodologies keep changing but the results seem the same...let's create cloned managment types that are able to work in very particular types of atmospheres...once again, lets leave out original thought. Yes, I will concede that management skills are important but...where are the leaders? Can leadership even be taught? Is the connection between management and leadership similar to that between a musician's technical skill and his/her abilities to emote musically? I would think that actual leaders would come out from a field of study where original thought was promoted--a place where their innate? leadership/visionary abilities are able to flourish but, I don't have any stats to back up this claim. Just a hunch. Or wishful thinking.

No comments: