Friday, June 24, 2005

The Measure of a Man?[sic]

I'm doin' this a bit early this morning. I'm not working until after lunch and I have a break seeing as the laundry is in the machines. Yesterday, there was a retirement party for our esteemed president. It was a themed affair -- retirement at the cottage -- complete and replete with a log fire and marshmallows. Yum. As I entered the 'space' I was given a ticket for which I could exchange an alcoholic beverage...one...beer or wine. I abstained. Instead, I was one of the rude over eager eaters who, much to the organizers' chagrin, dove into the food goodies before the speeches had begun and then continued to munch throughout. It's a survival skill. The president was suitably cheery and gracious. There seemed to be over 500 people there. Nevertheless, for those who don't know who I am, you would really have no idea who this man is that I'm writing about. His 'legacy' as it were seems confined to a 'space' soon to become no more memorable than as a photograph (do they paint portraits anymore?) hung somewhere in a hallway of the institution. Last month, a fellow from our department retired. We all went out to lunch to 'celebrate' the occasion--I think there were 20 of us in all. We were seated at a long table and I was stuck down at one end. There was a brief speech and gifts were given and then we all paid our tabs and went back to work. Thanks for the work! Have a good retirement! Don't bother us. Perhaps I'm a bit too uncharitable? When the job we do defines us as who we are is it any wonder that retirement, for some, quickly leads to death? First, a social death of sorts. Sure you don't have to work and have free time to do stuff but...what stuff...and with whom? Mental diminishment may follow...why would anyone listen to what you have to say anymore anyway? How can you be relevant? Slowly, the physical body will begin to fade away. Now, I know that this isn't true of everybody but, in a world that seems to place a priority upon productivity viewed through an economic lens, it must be difficult for an individual self to feel valued just for being. I wish both of these men a good and happy retirement. I hope that instead of 'retiring' they are able to truly enjoy their time outside of the box. I fear, however, that this may not be the case. Guess I'll just have to wait and see how things measure up.

No comments: