Thursday, June 30, 2005

Gearing up for the holiday

Yes, I missed a day. Have I mentioned yet that it's been hot? I have a day off. To myself. Myself and some bathroom cleaning, some laundry, some grocery shopping... but, that's what a day off is about really. All in all, I can take my time and enjoy some mental space. Tomorrow is a holiday. A holiday is different than a day off. No real time for mental space. There will be kids running around, guests to serve, meat to thaw, popsicles to freeze, cats to calm down all topped off with fireworks and (hopefully) well earned exhaustion. I'm actually looking forward to the chaos.

A dear friend J.O. called last night. She'll be dropping by some time mid-month. I've been thinking about my friends lately. How wonderful they all are and how lucky I am that they put up with me. The best thing about these friends is that, since they know me, they won't let me stray too far from who I am. Not that I am a particular fan of the phrase 'keeping it real' but it's comforting to be accepted.

One thing that a couple of my friends brought up is that somehow, without us looking, we ended up in our 30's ... essentially 'grown-up' with grown-up lives. How did this happen? In my head, I feel much the same as I did in university. How did we become editors for major corporations, police officers, mothers, professors and day-care instructors? How can it be that the boys and girls who bugged us in grade 9 are now in the position to teach our wee ones? (Not all of them...the boys and girls who really bugged us are living through their 3rd or 4th divorces, paying support out the ying yang, living in broken down trailers, working in cracker factories and are all grossly overweight with bad 80's hair and very yellow teeth)

Ok...that said, I am really beginning to feel the holiday spirit!!

1 comment:

East to East said...

I do not have a grown-up life.
I do have a second childhood.
I wish I had a boat.