Thursday, March 13, 2008

Another Dress Rehearsal

The set revealed itself tonight as a woman giving birth. Birth to a band. Birth to a musical. Birth to a Bat Boy. I mentioned this to the designer. Although it wasn't planned, he was pleased with the outcome -- yet another instance where post justification usurps intent and a new reality is created. Perhaps his sub conscious was guiding the process? Perhaps it was dumb luck? Whatever the cause, the outcome works.

The lighting has moments of beauty. My problem overall with how the piece is lit is that it sways too much between realism and stylization. I think the production would be better off lit in a stylized over the top fashion. It's a musical about a bat boy. I think it's ok to leave realism at the door. The scenes that worked were highly stylized with broad strokes of colour. I believe that the designer was trying for more stylization in other scenes but it needed a bit more ooomph.

When performing music, one needs to be aware that any dynamic changes made need to be exaggerated before they are registered by an audience. One of my favourite examples of this occurred when I was performing at a masterclass. I had a huge crescendo at one point and I thought I had really sold it. When I finished, the person hosting the class mentioned that he felt that a crescendo would really have worked at one point (the point where I had thought I had added one). I had only added enough of a dynamic change to make the listener feel that a change would be needed. This is the feeling I was left with in terms of the lights for this show. The ground work is there but I am left wanting a bit more.

How was the show itself? Entertaining. Yes there are some weaknesses and it probably could use a bit more time to fine tune some details before opening and although I didn't walk away singing any of the tunes (something I find a bit unfortunate but none of the tunes was particulary memorable to me) the show is a campy piece of rollicking fun. It's irreverant -- poking fun at itself and the world around it. The audience will enjoy it.

1 comment:

East to East said...

That damned bridge ruined my island!
But nothing will ruin my new island. In fact, Honkers are so grossed out by the "concept" of delays, they are reducing our ferry services (as opposed to say, building a bridge across the 2km span from HK to Lamma.
So we remain isolated, a whole 5km from the centre of the city. It's brilliant.

Super highways absolutely ruin drives. I still hit all the back roads when home. If you cannot wend along the river; you've taken the wrong route as far as I am concerned.

xxx
miss you woman. make me a driving cd will you?