Monday, February 25, 2008

Bye and Bye

So I actually went out on a 'date' a couple months ago. I'm thinking about it now because I just finished a wonderful Aikido session--new bruises! what fun!--and the school's instructor stopped by to watch and when my class ended informed me that I would have my first examination at the end of March. I never really considered examinations as a possibility. I only go once a week but, I guess I'm improving. To be frank, I am mildly obsessed with it. What has this to do with the date? The person I went out with was in one of my classes. He asked me out for coffee and, after checking with my sitter, I said 'yes.'

We headed to the local Starbucks -- him in his car, me in mine -- and when we entered I started grooving off Bob Dylan's take on 'All Along the Watch Tower.' The fellow I was with immediately started to whinge and complain stating that Dylan had ruined the genre of folk music. 'I like him,' I said. 'Didn't he kind of open up the genre of folk music?' 'You too have been snowed by a mass marketing machine,' he replied. Then we sat down -- he paid for his and was a bit put out that I bought my own but I was thrilled that my magic car had had a couple dollars hidden deep in the ashtray which I thought was a sign that I should be self sufficient and get my own -- and he started to tell me about his life while I started to hum 'Lay Lady Lay.' He talked about his divorce. (I started to think that his ex wife and I would probably get along) His kids. (They weren't really living up to what he felt was their true potential) His schooling. (Sociology...need I say more? Along with philosophy, art history, linguistics...a true Renaissance Man) His personal philosophies/convictions. (I like independent thought. I am also not one to shy away from a good argument. I can indulge in mental masturbation with the best of them. A good argument, however, has to leave some room for dialogue).

It wasn't all about him though. To be fair, he did bring me into the conversation. It went kinda like this:

Him: Do you know what your problem is?
Me: I have so many I feel it quite unfair that you are determined to focus upon only one.
Him: You aren't relaxed enough. You weren't able to knock me down.
Me: Was I supposed to? I thought we were working on the mechanics of the technique. Besides, you act like a big rock. I'm not interested in forcing things.
Him: You should practice opening doors in a relaxed state.
Me: What?
Him: Use your wrists.
Me: Using my wrists to open doors will make me more relaxed?
Him: Try it.
Me: I think that I might just follow what the Senpai is showing us for now.
Him: You should really take advantage of what I can teach you. I have experience.
Me: I see.
Him: You are a guitarist? I love the guitar.
Me: Ok
Him: I bet I can ask you some questions about the guitar that you can't answer
Me: I have no doubt about that.
Him: I think you should know as much about your instrument as possible. How much do you play?
Me: I don't play very much at all anymore.
Him: If I could play I'd never stop.
Me: I guess you'll never know for sure eh?

An uncomfortable silence followed. I started humming 'Everybody Must Get Stoned' and checked the time.

Me: I've got to go. My sitter will be wanting to go home.
Him: Ok. See you next week.

Thus endeth my first post nuptial date. He showed up to class the next week and I did throw him and he ended up elbowing me in the face and stabbing my leg with one of his overgrown toenails. He has not since returned. The dojo is a happy place for me. I'll be ready for the exam. I wonder if I'm ready for another date?

2 comments:

Howler said...

I know what instrument he can play and never stop: the DINKitar.

I'm basically a warm-hearted creature. said...

I dunno ... I was actually thinking that it might be love :)