Monday, May 28, 2007

Treat the Patrons Well

The kidlings had their first stage performance for Ukrainian dance yesterday. Pictures will be forthcoming. It was strange being a parent in the audience and not having to be overly concerned with backstage shenanigans. I say overly concerned because since the recital was at my theatre I did have a vested interested in what was going on. That and it provided me with the vantage point of the theatre patron -- a perspective all too easily lost when one is focused primarily on the technical trappings of an event. All in all, it was a good show. I enjoyed the performances although it was a bit too long--17 dance numbers in ACT I! The kidlings did well. Really, how could they not? As soon as they got on the stage the audience exuded a collective 'awwwwwww' and the kids didn't fail in their abilities to be uber cute. As a patron, it was nice to not have to deal with the 'kid urinating in the lobby' incident (although I did secretly rejoice that it wasn't one of mine while simultaneously thinking about the poor parents whose child it was). Nor did I need to attempt to pull people back into the theatre after a lengthy intermission. Although I squirmed inwardly when the main drapes opened partially, then closed, then opened a bit more, then closed, curtain warmers came up again, curtain warmers came down....big pause....curtains finally opened all the way all at the top of the show but, the audience was forgiving and applauded the resolution of this mishap. It's a good thing when the audience is on side. It's sometimes easy to forget how important the audience is. When the music gets going the dancers not only respond to the beat, they respond to the energy coming from those watching. During a couple numbers, the synthesis between performer and patron was not there and it left me feeling a bit cool to what was going on. I became a witness, not a participant. During other numbers, however, I could sense my entire body tingling as I was drawn into the performance. It's not about getting bums into seats when one is putting on a show. One has to get bums willing to participate. One has to ensure that the performance has the necessary elements to draw people in. Easier said then done to be sure but, I sense that the idea that the audience must be included doesn't come into play often enough when one is planning for a production. The audience tends to be an afterthought and when it is thought about, it tends to be resented. Yes, the audience does hold a lot of power. In order for a show to succeed, it has to be seen. This power, however, is harnessed during the best performances by those on stage and behind the scenes to create something larger and more undefinable then any rehearsal can produce. Treat the patrons well.

No comments: