Thursday, May 03, 2007

There's No Business ...

8:23 am. Thursday. My call time at the theatre is 1pm today. It's very nice to have a morning off. I'm taking Friday and Saturday off as well. Precious time to start digging in my garden. The past week has flown by. I endured the worst show I've every been a part of late last week. Seriously bad. And that's saying something cuz I've had to work some real stinkers over the years. It's bad enough when people come in to the theatre with uppity diva like attitudes replete with a personal entourage. It's worse when the so called 'talent' sucks. Big time. Worse even still when the talent and management decide to blame the theatre for not having anti suck buttons linked to the consoles. It was a rough ride. Because it's busy in the city in terms of productions these days, I couldn't get enough crew so I was left running the lx. Lighting was the only thing that this particular group liked. I can wank with the best of them. I think this client group was just trying to suck up to me not realizing that if they criticized the rest of the space I would take it personally. Add to the mix an unhealthy relationship between the young singer and considerably older manager and you end up with a night of overall ick. Although I'll never get those 14+ hours back, at least I'm left with a recording that I can snicker at time and time again if ever I feel like I'm becoming undone. Throughout the show I couldn't figure out if the performer was more consistently flat or sharp. Yikes. At least it's over.
Another jazz recital and an ethnic dance performance (both quite good) and now we have young'uns on the stage in a production of Into the Woods. It's been a lazy set up with the designers taking their time but everything got done. The stage looks good. Next week something wicked will come as a production of Macbeth will grace our stage. I really love theatre. I also love the non theatre shows. Even the bad ones.

No comments: