Friday, March 30, 2007

A Sucker Born

I was invited to and actually went to a candle party the other day. One of my 'new' neighbours put a card in my mailbox. (the neighbours moved in around Christmas...but since everyone bascially holes up here in winter, I hadn't a chance to actually meet them). I had no idea what a candle party was. I thought...hmmm...I like candles. My social calendar hasn't exactly been overflowing. What the heck. Should be fun.

I went.

So. In a nutshell. A candle party is a tupperware party but, instead of buying tupperware, one buys candles. (no, I've never attended a tupperware party. My mother went to one when I was quite young and still has some of the tupperware she bought then). Pretty candles. Nice smelling candles. Somewhat overpriced candles but, along with the candles, one can buy overpriced candle holders as well. Candle knick knacks of all shapes and sizes.

There was a short dvd presentation. I kid you not. The man on the tv was 'a scientist who's job is to ensure that these candles meet exacting specifications and are put through strenuous lab testing -- yup...these candles are lit and then watched to make sure they burn well. No beeswax I'm afraid but these parafin wax candles are made to burn clean.

My neighbour was the host of this shin dig. The food was good. Fresh veggies, crackers, cheese and shrimp. I spent my time checking out how the house was laid out. You see, their house is paired with mine and, as such, is an exact mirror image. Funny thing but to me, it looked completely different. My neighbours have 'grown up' furniture. It felt like I walked into a furniture store. Everything matched. They have a full size entertainment unit along one wall. They have matching dining room chairs. They have rugs.

Last year, a friend of mine commented on my bedroom saying that she was a bit freaked out cuz my bedroom reminded her of a parent's bedroom. Seeing how the house next door looks, I understand her sentiment. I asked J later what furniture store our stuff looked like it came from. Without batting an eye he replied 'the Sally-Ann.' It's hard to to make lifestyle comparisons. When all is said, however, I like my stuff. It's comfortable. It's home.

While my neighbour was the host, another woman was the seller. She passed out catalogues and made reference to various deals. She also mentioned that there would be another party in April for the men...because, as she said, 'just because you're a man who likes candles it doesn't mean that you are gay.' The men would, of course, be able to bring lady friends because...just because you're a man and like candles doesn't mean you are capable of choosing by yourself.

I was asked if I would like to host my own party. I replied that I really didn't know enough people to make it viable. She pressed on to suggest I invite people I work with. I looked at her and said that the technicians I worked with, complete with full body tatoos and biker goatees down to their chests probably wouldn't be interested...even though some are gay.

I ended up getting a bag of tea lights and a couple candles as well as 2 new candle holders. I didn't want to offend. I had eaten 6 shrimp. I do like candles.

Only cost about one hundred dollars.

I should be getting them within 30 days. I can hardly wait.

1 comment:

East to East said...

You paid what???
That is shocking. I wouldn't only charged $2-5 for the shimp and sounds like you should have charged for your time to watch the DVD.
That said, I once wrote all the tech specs for a candle company. they were nice and pretty and sourced from vietnam and made in labs and stupidly expensive. Candle parties? I had hoped that was code for some weird sex toys.

xxxx G