Monday, December 18, 2006

Fa La La La La

I sometimes wish I had better stories to tell. Then I chastise myself because the stories are all around. My arse is just too lazy to put them down and out there. Cheers to all the lazy arses out there! I am humbled to be numbered among them.

It's warm outside. Too warm. Yet, not warm enough to dampen my Christmas spirit. I'm filled with Ho Ho this year. Our tree is up. Real of course. I can't have Christmas without one. It only knocked over once. Our male cat was going through one of his feral moments and spooked himself (he really is a putz). J was out and I picked it up and proceeded to try to restraighten it from below at the stand. After about 20 minutes I realized that I was having no luck, the tree stand sucked and I couldn't move from beneath the tree without it falling again. The wee ones thought that my predicament was funny. Ha Ha. I called for #1 son to get me the phone. He did after much cajoling, threatening, pleading and the like. Then the girl asked for some milk. "I'm kinda busy sweetie." "But I want some now!" "Suck it up princess, Mommy is stuck under this tree and if you don't want her to pull a scrooge you'll get your own milk." "But I can't reach the cups...Can I have a candy instead?" Sigh. J tried to hide his amusement on the phone -- ok...he didn't really. He laughed out loud and told me he'd get home soon. Soon came, and I was rescued with no other damage then a slightly stiff chest and a mildly bruised ego.

I love real Christmas trees.

I've also baked this year. The final list is:

2 batches of Swedish jam cookies
1 batch of Snickerdoodles (a cookie with a stupid name but a great taste)
1 batch of oatmeal macaroons
1 batch of creamcheese, mini marshmallow, chocolate balls
1 batch of rosebud cookies (basically a peanut butter cookie with a hershey's kiss in the centre)
1 tray of pineapple squares
1 batch of pecan shortbread cookies
1 lemon pound cake
1 Finnish spice cake

Yup. Sometimes I am superwoman! J finally finished the bookshelves that enable me to finally unpack the rest of my books. I finished them a bit in the basement (sand, light varnish, polish with rotton stone). I love finishing wood. Sometimes, I think I could give up the rest of my career type stuff and spend my life finishing furniture. I'm also pretty sure that I'd go nuts after a short while but, it's fun to have an alternate life plan.

I went shopping with J today. My favourite part? Walking up and down the street poking around in shops that are doing their best to lure in pedestrian traffic (at one place, we got tea!). Didn't buy a lot but found some meaningful gifts (hope so anyway!).

Least favourite part? going to the toystore in one of this city's many malls and breathing in the frenzy of greed. I have recently watched a program that showed some pirhanas going after a fish. I was reminded of those nasty fish when I watched as folks, smelling fear I guess, swarmed the poor sods working the aisles as they searched for this year's 'must haves.'

We left relatively unscathed with some books and some hotwheels. Some things never go out of style. Our girl has requested from Santa a Barbie this year. I'm torn. I hope I can find the least offensive type out there. But, then again, compared to the Bratz whores, Barbie is pretty tame.

Tomorrow should be a good day. J and I are going to wander through the market. I haven't been there in a very long time. Years? Maybe. I'm looking forward to the walk. To see what's changed and what's stayed the same. Kinda like looking at myself through a mirror made up of memories and the here and now.




No comments: