Sunday, October 01, 2006

My Girl

The other day I was driving home after having had picked up the kids from school. The girl began to tell me about her day and said that their class had talked about what they wanted to be when they grew up. She was confused about something. 'No one said that they wanted to be a dad when they grew up,' she said and continued, 'and I was the only one who wanted to be a mom.' Huh. My girl wants babies and to be a mom. Might I also add here that she is one of the smartest/wisest people I have had the pleasure to meet. Her observations never cease to challenge and amaze me. She went on to say that she also wants to work on films and make films for children to watch. Very cool. She then began to badger her brother and try to convince him that he should want to be a dad. The boy wasn't easily convinced. He too wanted to work on films but as a zoom boom operater. When told that his dad drives a zoom boom on occasion he demured and said that yes, he wanted to be a dad...as long as he could still drive cool stuff. Ok. I'm not entirely sure where the girl's decision to be a mom has come from. J and I have each told the kidlings that our most important jobs are that of parents...but I feel that something else is at play here. She sees being a mom as something valuable...special even. Huh. Well, it is. Her views are just different from my experience. I never ever felt that I wanted to be a mom when I was younger. Hell, the whole mom thing came to me, I guess, as an inevitability...one thing flowing to the other...much like leaving home to go to university. It was never a decision per se. It was something that I just did. Hmmm...when I actually explore this a bit further, I've never really wanted to 'be' anything. I am what I am. (sorry popeye) There are a few things that I'd like to 'do' but my deeds aren't really who I am. But, would I be going on like this if the girl had said she wanted to be a doctor? I doubt it. Last year, she had told me that she wanted to be a doctor when she got older. I asked her about that old world view. She replied...'on no mummy. I would need a lot of training and you know? some of that training would be very gross...looking into people's stomachs...ewwwwwww.' That's my girl.

1 comment:

East to East said...

Now that is impressive. I always wanted to be something crap: a princess; a poet (don't know where I got that idea at such an age); a musician (thanks grandma); a judge (thanks school). I didn't want to be a mum.

I miss you. Sorry I missed you on the way back: I screwed up my back at home (slipped disc -ewwwww) and spent an extra week in Canada on my ass, on drugs and in pain. Bad excuse, but I was actually generally too stoned to communicate beyond saying "more cookies please" to mum and "can you help me out of the shower now?" to Paul.

Hope to call soon, and thank you for the b-day messages. To whit, I got a jar of Cheese Whiz (from mum) photos of Becky's ankle-biters and new bookshelves (from Paul). You can guess what I like the most.

xxxxx to you, the little mum, mr zoon-boom #1 and mr zoom-boom #2.

xxxx