Thursday, December 22, 2005

How Dry I Am

Our tree is up. Real, of course. Prettiest one ever. Our house is decorated. The cookies have been baked. 7 varieties. The turkey is in the fridge. The presents have pretty much all been obtained and are waiting to be wrapped. The house is clean. Top to bottom. Kids are excited. I am ready. Bring it on.

Last week was my last one at work. I took this week off. I needed it. A lot to do. And, at the same time, I needed a rest away from 'the office.' Yes. Working in a theatre is fun. I love it. It's great. It is also, at times, a soul stealing, mind numbing bureaucratic nightmare that only those in charge of academics could possibly dream up. My staff is made up of lovely people. People who are all certifiable. I was getting through shows by the skin of my teeth. My game hasn't been sharp. I've almost dropped the ball on a number of occasions. I hope the time away can clear up some of the cobwebs that seem to have become entrenched inside my skull. Last Friday I filled the humidifier for the Steinway. I turned off the water and went home. At least I thought I turned off the water. I went in on Sunday. The stairwell seemed to be a bit water stained. I went into the office. Chaos. The place had flooded. Big time. The main damage? On my boss's desk. You see, the Steinway is housed in a room directly over his desk. Seems that there was so much water that his office and the workshop were under about 6" of water. Soggy. I called him on Monday. Although officially on vacation, I thought I should go in to help clean up. No need. He was practically giggling. The main computer was unscathed. Business could continue. Albeit on a stool set up in the middle of the workshop as his office was being dried out. As I mentioned before, hope my holiday will give me time to clear out some cobwebs or next year will be a bumpy one indeed.

No comments: